Allouez Wisconsin History
The Nicolet State Trail runs 90 miles, so I thought I'd share a few photos of various villages and towns in Green Bay, WI.
The East River Trail, just 6 miles long, is bordered to the north and east by the Green Bay River, Lake Superior and the Hudson River, and to the east and east by the Wisconsin River.
The Fox River State Trail connects Packerland with pasture land, winds through rural and agricultural communities along the Wisconsin River and its tributaries, and connects Appleton and Kaukauna to the north and south of the city via the busy County Highway CElink.
The Old Plankenweg runs parallel to the road, which was originally built of wooden planks in the 19th century. The Copper Culture Trail offers scenic views of the Copper River and its tributaries, as well as the Fox River Valley.
In 1675, Father Jacques Marquette's mission in Illinois was taken over by his brother-in-law, Father John Marquett. The mission will be known by various names, including the mission of St. John in Allouz and the mission of St. John in the Fox Valley.
The Radisson Groseilliers were in the Northwest in 1661-62, after traveling down the Fox River and making their remarkable journey down the Mississippi. In September they sailed to the south shore and set up camp at Lake Superior, which they were to carry to Sault Ste. In the winter of 1662-63, they crossed the Mille Lacs region in Minnesota with their cache of goods. Perrot and others set up camp in Allouz and sailed to Minnesota, sailing from the northern shore of the Great Lakes in August of that year and sailing south again in October.
Johnston spoke of an accomplished Irish gentleman who had lived in Sault de Ste for so many years. He was in English service and built a fortress on the island of Madelaine, which was to guard the northern entrance comfortably. There are no records of his presence in Allouz after his capture at Mackinaw in 1812, but he is the only Radisson Groseillier of whom we have records.
The Favre Family Miracle Recreation Area is named after former Wisconsin Packers quarterback Brett Favres and his wife Jill in honor of their son Brett and daughter-in-law Jessica. The immediate construction of the shelter and the disabled playground made it possible for football to return to Allouz for the first time in over 50 years.
Intrigued by the concept, Liegeois decided to continue the project in late 2005 after seeing that he could not create a similar facility in the area around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, and brought the idea to his friend and co-founder of the Allouez Miracle League, Dr. John F. O'Neill. The season opened and the following winter was spent at Favre's Family Miracle Recreation Area in honor of former Wisconsin Packers quarterback Brett Favres and his wife Jill. One participating family has enjoyed this experience so much that in 2010 they launched a Miracle League program that now has over 1,000 participants in its first year of operation. AllOUez is also traveling to Lake Michigan, where it is continuing its efforts to turn the former Lake Huron National Wildlife Refuge into a recreation area for the disabled and disabled.
Originally, the Lake Superior Indians went to Quebec to trade, but as the whites advanced to a certain extent westward, trade visits were restricted. There was a tendency to prolong the fox war, as they were forced to trade in fur and travel, as well as the propensity of the locals to fight.
It was not until August 1665, three years later, that Father Claude Allouez, a Jesuit, was sent to reopen the abandoned mission in Ottawa at Lake Superior. He spent a longer stay there and founded Pere - Claude - AllOUez at the present-day Rapids des Peres, or "Rapids of the Father."
Here he learned about the captivity of the Sioux father Louis Hennepin and rescued the double adventurer without much talk or courage and carried him to his new home in Green Bay. So freed from the work that had undoubtedly plagued him, Allouez went to GreenBay, where he arrived in early December and founded the modern city of Depere.
An eyewitness account of the Lake Superior region, written a few years later, can be read in this memoir. The Radisson Voyages, published in 1895 by the Prince's Society of Boston, and parts of his relations with Wisconsin are reproduced in this note by Wis. Hist. The English translation was provided by William Kelloggs Davidson, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, WI. In Unnamed Wisconsin Milw (1895), Mr. Davidson reveals the full details of her mission and work.
The purpose of this story is to remind people of the importance of local history in the history of Wisconsin and the history of the state. This is an attempt to show how local histories were institutionalized and presented at the end of the 19th century.